Collective Noun for Geeks

In expected atypical style, my colleagues and I had a discussion on ideas for the collective noun for (software) developers. The obvious candidates rolled in:

…(dis)array … of developers.

However, after dwelling on the issue for too long we decided the most appropriate was an embarrassment of developers, or the more generic, an awkwardness of geeks.

After the fact, I stumbled upon Good Math, Bad Math’s musings on the same problem and came to a conclusion: there can’t be just one collective noun.  We must decompose the problem into its constituent parts and have a collective noun for each type of geek.

A hurd of GNU geeks
An n of maths geeks
A gravity of physics geeks
A convention of comic book geeks

The list goes on… as does the embarrassment. Sorry.



2 responses to “Collective Noun for Geeks”

  1. […] over at Lone Gunman has a brief excurses on collective nouns for geeks. A few he […]

  2. Matt

    Actually, I’d prefer:

    An epsilon ball of math geeks…