Personally and professionally I always thrive to learn. Nine months ago I moved from programming into systems/business analysis: I knew what the job entailed and knew I could do it well. I still asked for a mentor.
Specifically, I asked that my mentor be the person in our organisation who is always lauded as being the most knowledgeable. Being a mentee is not easy.
- It’s all about the questions you ask
- Have strong beliefs, weakly held
- Have a long term perspective
- Be open to topics not on your short-term agenda
- Follow up by showing interest in them (at least four times a year)
- Don’t make the mentor do the work